An engaging digital experience delivering studio quality online film combined with interactive online sessions. A covid response educational solution that delivers maximum CE hours with extra value, such as physician contributions, actual patient demonstrations and interviews.
Invisible Trauma - Recovery from Complex Concussions
Watch the trailer and learn about this course
This course is available for our private and course sponsor program
Why take visually engaging online course with an interactive session?
- Take up to one year to complete the online course. Do you really want to sit in a 12 hour webinar?
- Interact with the instructor with your specific questions from the online course
- Get further instructions on complex areas of the material
- Register online and the online course will be automatically, any bonus courses will be added by our support team.
Why should a physical therapist, occupational therapist or athletic trainer take this advanced concussion rehab course?
Concussions are a complex injury, and clinicians need specific knowledge and skill to progress treatment in this patient population effectively. A deep understanding of complex issues related to concussion, evidence-based clinical practice guidelines, and treatments are the keys to a concussion patient’s successful rehabilitation and return to a quality of life.
Rehab clinical tools instructed in this advanced course that will enhance your functional outcomes.
- Differential diagnosis techniques to identify complex issues with mTBI.
- Detailed information on specific evaluation and treatment criteria and progression particular to the concussion diagnosis.
- Techniques to prioritize visual and vestibular interventions treatments.
Specific instruction that will enhance your understanding and ability to deliver better patient care.
- Perspective from a clinical team provides insight into the total care needed for the successful treatment for concussion patients.
- Samuel Hunter, MD, provides an overview of neuroanatomy that enables the clinician to correlate symptoms with physiological disorders and plan treatment progressions.
- Alex Behar, MD, discusses the implications of concussion, therapeutic management, and progression.
Features unique to this advanced concussion course.
- Two patient case studies provide real-life scenarios of how the continuum of care dictates a person’s successful progression to functional activities and quality of life.
- Migraine and headaches symptoms related to concussion and strategies to mitigate their impact of the patient’s quality of life.
- Anxiety and PPPD factors and specific treatment ideas.
This is an advanced level course applicable for PT, PTA, OT, AT. Physical Therapy Accreditation: For specific state information use the accreditation verification menu and select your state of license. AOTA: provider #4487, Advanced level occupational therapy process: evaluation and treatment. Athletic Trainers: BOC provider #P2047, category A. This course has not been submitted for Evidence-Based BOC approval.For more information regarding the online course
Not interested in the online interactive session? Purchase the online only course with one year access
theaters Purchase Now, Instant Online Course Access
- CE Hours: 13.0 hrs, 1.3 CEU
- Delivered: Online
- Instant Online Access, 365 days of access, Mobile Ready
Highlights of this Online Continuing Education Course
Upon Successful Completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify the anatomy and physiology of the central nervous system
- Correlate anatomical and physiological disorders with signs and symptoms.
- Identify specific oculomotor tests and discuss the relevance of test outcomes as well as symptoms and progression of function.
- Identify pearls and pitfalls in the oculomotor examination, particularly to a concussion.
- Identify oculomotor abnormalities.
- Prioritize problems and develop a progressive treatment plan that systematically challenges specific systems without pushing too hard and having a setback.
- Identify specific complications of concussion concerning vestibular dysfunction
- Utilize evidence-based clinical tools during the evaluation and treatment of the mTBI patient.
- Identify when to perform VOMS and discuss when the results indicate referral for a vestibular assessment.
- Differentiate between: gaze-evoked nystagmus, saccadic intrusion, spontaneous nystagmus, saccadic intrusions with smooth pursuit, hypermetric saccades, rebound nystagmus.
- Differentiate cervicogenic dizziness from anxiety and migraines in mTBI.
- Discuss the characteristics and primary signs and symptoms of PPPD.
- Differentiate symptoms related to PPPD.
- Identify how to incorporate grounding, sensory reweighting, stabilization endurance exercises, mindfulness to address PPPD symptoms.
- Identify common medications utilized for migraines and the potential side effects.
- Identify when exertion training is appropriate.
- Identify and develop a safe progression of care for back to work, home, sport, and activities of daily living.
- Educate the patient, family, and other medical professionals on helpful techniques to minimize overstimulation when performing activities in social and community settings.
- Educate the patient and family on techniques to utilize when performing ADL’s in the home and out in social environments.
Learn From the Expert - Laura Morris, PT, NCS
Laura Morris, PT, NCS is a physical therapist and lecturer with over 25 years of experience in the management of adults with neurologic disorders.Learn More about Laura Morris
Introduction to Neuroanatomy
- Understanding the fundamentals to identify pathology
- Central nervous system
- Complexities of the cerebrum
- Specialized structures in the cerebrum
- Brainstem, cerebellum function and dysfunction
- Cerebral dysfunction
- Metabolic syndromes
- Concussions and vestibular system
- Extaocular movements
Concussion Management: Assessment and How to Progess Safely
- Complex signs and symptoms
- Progression of care from a medical perpsective
- Central oculomotor signs
- Spontaneous nystagmus
- Oculomotor abnormalities
- Vestibular funcation and Concussion
- Visual motion intolerance
- Gaze stabilization
- VOR Exercises
- Concussion and postural stability
- Sensory re-weighting
- Balance interventions
- Tailoring your interventions for the complex patient
- Oculomotor Interventions
Headaches, Persistent Postural Perceptual Dizziness (PPPD)
- Post traumatic headaches
- Cervicogenic headaches
- Medication overuse headaches
- Occipital neuralgia
- Intervention strategies
- Migraine study, diet and triggers
- Vestibular migraine
- PPPD, characteristics, precipitating factors primary signs and symptoms,assessment HADS, intervention
- Psychological factors that affect dizziness
- Symptoms of anxiety
- Anxiety-perceived threat
Case Studies - Comprehensive Overview from Assessment to Interventions over Time
Case study 1: Motor vehicle accident.
- Photophopia, phonophobia
- Irritability depression
- Assessment and intervention
- Progression of treatment
Case study 2: Slipped on ice, fell backward and landed on head.
- Photophobia and phonophobia
- Cervical impairment
- Oculomotor impairment
- Assessment and intervention
- Progression of treatment
Topics for Frequently Asked Questions
- Differentiate between migraine and vestibular symptoms
- The oculmotor exam for vestibular patient vs the concussion patent
- Prioritizing visual interventions
- Tailoring interventions for the complex patient
- Pitfalls of the oculomotor exam
- How hard can you push your post concussive patient
- Exertion assessment
- Evidence based research on rest post concussion
Course Test - Evaluate your knowledge
- Use the Healthclick proprietary online education system which provides the online student with:
- Worldwide access to high definition video, anatomical animations and images, and written information
- The highest quality film in the industry, you can see the difference!
- Stop and resume within a course, the Healthclick system will optimize your course based on your device, connection and remembers where you left off.
- Real-time course updates. We are always adding to each courses, updating content, adding animations, these are not static courses!
- Evaluate your knowledge with the course test on any device.
- Print your state course certificate for CE credit.
- Take the online test as many times as need in order to achieve a 70 % or greater score.
fact_check Accreditation Verification
View PT, PTA, OT and ATC Continuing Education Course State Accreditation
Bring this instructor to your facility or online just for your team
Submit a Request