Optimizing Functional Mobility in the Older Adult
Why take this course?
As the population ages, there is a continual growing need for physical and occupational therapists and other health care providers to develop comprehensive solutions to maximize mobility and achieve positive functional outcomes. This intermediate-level course will utilize the best evidence-based research in examination and treatment techniques for older adults and apply them to results-driven clinical practices. This course will teach clinicians how to perform a comprehensive examination of older adults with orthopedic, neurologic, and cardiopulmonary diagnoses as well as other pathologies with an emphasis on integrating findings into the development of the plan of care. A variety of tests and interventions will be practiced in labs to allow participants the opportunity to practice the concepts discussed during lectures, such as appropriate strength training for older adults and treatment of vestibular disorders. Since vestibular disorders may be missed in older adults, identification and treatment of vestibular impairment is vital to successful outcomes in this population to prevent further injury and to establish a successful path toward functional mobility. This course will also include implications of other diagnoses common to older adults such as diabetes, osteoporosis, stroke, Parkinson’s Disease, hip fracture, and several other diagnoses. Case studies will be used for participants to practice problem solving and clinical decision making in older adults. The information in this course can be adapted for all practice settings including acute care, inpatient rehab, skilled nursing facilities/subacute, outpatient, and home care. This evidence-based course will incorporate current and relevant information to develop an individualized treatment plan to improve functional outcomes in your patients. A comprehensive manual will supplement the didactic and lab portions of the course.
- Identify the effects of aging and pathology on limitations in activities and participation.
- Perform a comprehensive examination of older adults selecting appropriate tests and measures based on the individual’s presentation.
- Recognize fall risk factors in older adults and develop an appropriate plan of care to address these factors.
- Perform an examination of the vestibular system and demonstrate appropriate treatments for BPPV and vestibular hypofunction.
- Explain how to incorporate an evidence based interventions into a plan of care for older adults.
- Design appropriate exercise prescriptions for older adults with a variety of impairments and comorbidities.
- Discuss the effect of medications on older adults and how it impacts rehab progression.
- Design a comprehensive treatment plan for older adult patients incorporating all impaired systems, impact of medications, and patient goals.
Download a Brochure
PDF Brochure - Optimizing Functional Mobility in the Older Adult
Instructed by: Linda Horn, PT, DScPT, MHS, NCS
November 21, 2020 - November 22, 2020
16 hours of CME credit
CentraState Medical Center
Tuition: $ 450.00
Accepting Registrations Now - Call to Register
Reasons why we have “Call to Register?”
- Manage limited attendees per social distance req.
- Room size may be restricted and we need to moniter registration count
State Continuing Education Course Approvals
All courses are pre-approved by the state licensing boards for physical therapists, physical therapy assistants and occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants and athletic trainers for license renewal in the state the course is offered.
Courses provided by AOTA providers are accepted by NBCOT. 1 hour = 1.25 PDU. North American Seminars is an AOTA provider, provider #4487
North American Seminars, Inc. (BOC provider #P2047) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for the maximum stated hours of Category A hours/CEUs. Athletic Trainers should claim only those hours actually spent in the education program.
Special Need Request - Please submit a help ticket if you require any special needs in regards to registering or attending a course.
Private - Sponsorship or Custom Version of this Course for your Team
Submit a Request
Online Continuing Education Course Resource For This Course
Utilizing Pilates to Enhance Rehab Outcomes
Utilize Pilates to Enhance Rehab Outomes Home Study - Instant Online Access to Online Material and Videos for 365 days, Downloadable Course Manual PDF
Price when purchased with registration: $ 165.00
Delivery: OnlineMore Info
*Promotional prices for e-learning products are only provided when registering for live course attendance