Foundation Exercises for the Treatment of the Knee
Watch the trailer and learn about this course
Why take this course?
This online CE course will provide therapeutic exercises guidelines for developing rehabilitation programs for patients with various knee pathologies. Foundational exercises are described first to work each link in the kinematic chain in an isolated manner to build the “foundation ” to progress to the advanced functional specificity exercises. After a solid foundation is established by working each link in the kinematic chain (muscle groups in the knee complex); then examples of advanced exercises are illustrated to be incorporated with different patients at selected times in their rehabilitation programs. Selected manual therapy techniques are also demonstrated that can be used with patients who have selective hypomobilities.
Details about this Online Continuing Education Course
An algorithm based examination for the special tests of the knee is also demonstrated as an efficient method to perform the tests in a minimal time. Furthermore, there are approximately 175 special tests of the knee published at the time of this film, so some of the best tests, based on the evidence (sensitivity, specificity, likelihood ratios, positive and negative predicative values) have been selected and utilized in this algorithm. The clusters of signs and symptoms also provide the clinical reasoning for using the tests that are described.
theaters Purchase Now, Instant Online Course Access
- CE Hours: 5.0 hrs
- Delivered: Online
- Instant Online Access to Course Material for 365 days, Videos, Online Test, PDF Manual Download and Printable Course Certificate with State Specific CEU approval
fact_check Accreditation Verification
View PT, PTA, OT and ATC Continuing Education Course State Accreditation
Learn from the Expert George Davies DPT, MEd, PT, SCS, ATC, LAT, CSCS, FAPTA, PES
DR. GEORGE J. DAVIES is a clinician, educator, speaker, researcher, author, editor and consultant. He is an internationally known speaker who has presented hundreds of conferences throughout the world on sports medicine, sports physical therapy, athletic training, shoulder, knee, open and closed kinetic chain topics, orthopaedics, rehabilitation and Isokinetics. George began in this great profession of sports medicine almost 50 years ago when he started as a student, assistant and head athletic trainer. He has been involved in the clinical practice of sports physical therapy/athletic training, since 1965. He still maintains an active clinical practice at Coastal Therapy in Savannah, GA and Gundersen Lutheran Sports Medicine, LaCrosse, WI. He has been actively involved in the sports coverage as an athletic trainer/sports physical therapist at a variety of sporting events: 1980 Winter Olympics, Lake Placid, NY, 1986 Pan American Games, Indianapolis, IN, 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics, volunteer trainer at the USOTC, Lake Placid, NY, 2003, a member of the USA Medical Staff for the 2005 Summer World University Games in Izmir, Turkey, Paralympic Games in Beijing, China, 2008, and was invited by the IOC to present educational workshops for clinicians from around the world at the London Olympic Games, 2012.
He has a passion for teaching and has been an educator for over 40 years in colleges and universities. For the past 38 years, he has been involved in teaching in physical therapy programs. He is presently a Professor of Physical Therapy at Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah, GA since 2004. He was also honored as a Professor-Emeritus of Physical Therapy at the University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse following 30 years of teaching.
He has been involved in many research projects that have been presented at numerous national and international conferences and published in various journals. He has participated in hundreds of scientific conferences and workshops throughout the world in the last 35 years, published over 200 articles and research abstracts in various periodicals, written several books and has contributed chapters to over 40 books.
George was the original co-founder and co-editor of The Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy for 10 years.
Upon completion of this course the participants should be able to:
Learn the Top Ten Exercises for Rehabilitation of the Knee
- Quadriceps sets (Quadriceps)
- Long Arc Exercises - 90°-0° - Flexion (Hamstrings))
- Quad Set & Straight Leg Raises (SLR) (Quadriceps, Hip flexors-Iliopsoas)
- Hip Extension Exercises (Gluteus maximus & Hamstrings)
- Hip Abduction (Gluteus Medius)
- Adduction (Hip Adductors)
- Hip External Rotation - Resisted exercises with Bands (Hip ER Muscles)
- Hip Internal Rotation - Resisted (Hip IR Muscles)
- TLS - 2 leg calf raises (Gastrocnemius, Soleus)
- TLS - 2 leg soleus raises (Soleus)
Closed Kinetic Chain - Neuromuscular Dynamic Stability Exercises
- CKC - Balance/perturbation/kinesthesia Exercise
- BOSU® perturbation training with external perturbation
- Perturbation exercises on BOSU®
Integrate Proprioceptive or Kinesthetic Balance Training in the Lower Extremity
- Nordic hamstring exercises with ballistic progression
- 2-Leg Jump and 2-Leg Stick Landing
- 2-Leg Jump and 1-Leg Stick Landing
- 1 Leg Hop and 1 Leg Stick Landing
- Single leg anterior hop and stick landing on unstable surface
- 90° jump & turn rotation and stick landing
- 180° deg Jump and Twist with Stick Landing
- 90°, 180°, 270°, 360° jump & turn rotations and stick landing
Master Evaluation of the Knee
The Knee Algorithm for Evaluation of the Knee
- Effusion tests
- Patellofemoral mobility testg
- Patellofemoral OKC PROM Tracking test
- PF OKC AROM Tracking test
- CKC AROM Tracking test
- PCL tests
- ACL Tests & Rotary instability tests
- ACL tests
- MCL Valgus stress test at 0° & 30°
- LCL Valgus stress test at 0° & 30°
- Meniscus tests
- Apleys distraction tests for MCL & LCL with Davies Dynamic Version
Course Test - Evaluate your knowledge
- Use the Healthclick proprietary online education system which provides the online student with:
- Worldwide access to high definition video, anatomical animations and images, and written information
- The highest quality film in the industry, you can see the difference!
- Stop and resume within a course, the Healthclick system will optimize your course based on your device, connection and remembers where you left off.
- Real-time course updates. We are always adding to each courses, updating content, adding animations, these are not static courses!
- Evaluate your knowledge with the course test on any device.
- Print your state course certificate for CE credit.
- Take the online test as many times as need in order to achieve a 70 % or greater score.